Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sharing our stories...

Tonight, Selam (my new friend from Ethiopia living here in our little town) and I got to share our stories to a wonderful group of women. I started with the trip and what we did while in Ethiopia in Nov. I shared our tasks of building relationships through Hopechest and with the children at the two care points, Kind Hearts and Trees of Glory. I shared what it means to be a sponsor and how I was able to meet our sponsor daughter, Bizuayehu. I was proud of myself for not breaking down tonight as I shared the special picture of Biz with the gracious group. Usually, all I have to do is start talking about Biz and it's like my emotions have no control. It hits a really tender nerve to share the connection I feel to that special little girl. I continued to share the doors that have opened since returning from Ethiopia and how the task I seem to have been given seems like it's one of God's tasks with us only being the vessels to get it done.

This is usually how I share my story, but tonight, I was able to introduce Selam, a former Ethiopian orphan. She was able to bring such reality to the entire evening. On occasion, Selam tearfully shared her connection with a family who took her into their family. She said they were a caring Christian family and adopted her into their home for the summer times. I wondered how many Christians here would do that and take someone into their home every summer as this teacher and his family did for Selam. Something for me to really think about.

What a blessing she is to those who meet her. She is so delightful and real! I feel so blessed to have met up with this new friend of mine. We look forward to some other speaking engagements we can share with others together.

No comments:

Post a Comment