Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Travel Plans to Ethiopia


In November, 2011, my friend Karen Wistrom returned to Ethiopia to continue the connection with her care points.  She also graciously visited Kechene for us and delivered our care packages, letters and pictures.  She and her team gave hugs, bought special food for the children, and took many photos.  Through her efforts, we saw our children growing and happy; happy because they got special gifts from you, and also very happy to have a connection with their sponsors, YOU!  Our connection with each other is critical in keeping us aware of what is happening at their school and in their lives.  It also teaches the children to trust us when we continue to return and help improve their lives, and it helps ALL OF US see where our money is going. 
This year I feel called to personally return to Kechene, with a goal to deliver care packages, your letters, pictures and gifts. I also hope to feed a special meal of goat and injera to the children, and of course take LOTS of pictures to share with you. But, what's really been on my mind and heart lately is wanting to begin planning with the staff of Kechene for them to become self-sufficient.  This, of course, is our ultimate goal, but I would like to  begin now to make it a reality.


My son, Caleb (16), would like to join me this year, which would help him reach beyond himself during this crucial time of his life as he gives of himself to help others. Together, we would travel with Karen on Nov. 11, 2012. 


During my first travel to ET in 2010, I paid for the trip out-of-pocket. This year, however, I am not able to do that.  With a per person cost of $3,000, I am seeking help with funding this trip.  If you feel you can help us reach our goal, Hopechest has a spot for sponsoring Caleb and I that has been set up for easy donations. Please visit it then pass it on to others.  I tend to feel guilty for putting this money into a "trip" instead of sending it directly to Kechene, however, there would be no sponsorship had the first trip not taken place.


Thank you so much for being the hands and feet of Christ through your sponsorship. I pray that we can continue to work for your little ones by bringing YOU to THEM!  Please keep my son and me in your prayers as we work to raise the funds for this goal.


Children's Hopechest has a space for donations on their website that is tax deductible. Go to https://secure3.convio.net/chc/site/Donation2?df_id=1420&1420.donation=form1&JServSessionIdr004=mtaydopur2.app332b

Please use  "ET121102TByers"
as your reference number and in the Notes Field, please write, "Greta and Caleb Byers"

Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment