Monday, June 25, 2012

God has spoken, and His answer is "WAIT."

Well, after some restless days last week of feeling anxious over getting things done and shots taken care of, and $6000 raised by Nov., I prayed. I prayed for clarity like never before. I prayed over the email I sent to the sponsors for help with the trip. And I prayed for peace in our family about this decision.

God answered ALL of these prayers almost immediately after sending the emails out to the sponsors. I had just sent out the first email with an explanation that I was wanting to go back to Ethiopia and take our 16 year old son, Caleb when the phone rang. It was my friend, Susan informing me that I had 2 different conflicting reference numbers for which to give a donation for our trip. I thanked her and sent out another email with notes for the change. Again, I prayed that as it went out, if God wanted me to go back in Nov., to open the doors and raise the money. If God did not want me to go back in Nov., I told God that I was ok with that and that I just wanted to do His will. I truly meant it this time and felt peace almost instantly.

Well, almost immediately, I got another phone call. This time from my friend Kristen who just came back from Ethiopia with her son, Dalton. He is also 16 and will also be a junior. I asked her how her trip was with her son. She was very honest with me and said that she could NEVER have taken him during the school year since there was so much to process after their experiences at the care points. I totally know what she is talking about. It was very emotional for me upon coming back in 2010 and to think of our Caleb coming back with this load to process AND trying to catch up with missing 9 days of school was like the loudest message I have heard in a long time!

The decision was made. But then, Kristen made it even easier. She invited me to help her lead next June's trip back to Ethiopia to visit Kebron, her care point, Kechene and of course, Kind Hearts too, where our sponsor daughter attends school and building will be underway for a new school!  I had to start calling and writing all the people I would "disappoint." This actually turned out surprisingly well! I called a church friend who was planning on going in Nov., but when I told him the change, he was excited since his wife may be able to attend now with it being summer, and she is also a teacher. I wrote Karen, my dear friend who I would have been traveling with in Nov. She was also very understanding and was just happy we were finally at peace. I will really miss the experience with her!! But then, with Caleb, I explained and he was actually relieved, as was his friend's family who was also going to go. They are actually excited to not miss school and will be able to do their best their junior year. I also had to talk with Selam's mom in Ethiopia, who was just as excited as I was to meet and spend an entire weekend together in Addis. She was very understanding and agreed with me that it was a better time to come with Caleb.

And finally, my dear, patient husband, Matt. He did not say "I told you so." Rather, he was just excited for Caleb and his friend Chance to have the school year to focus on their studies and to then really experience Ethiopia! So, it all worked out all right, you see? God's plan brought peace. If we listen hard enough and are stubborn, like me, long enough, God will show us the way!

June 2013, ETHIOPIA, here we come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment