Thursday, June 14, 2012

Two visitors in one week!


In one week, we have had 2 visitors to Kechene! Whoo Hoo!

The first visitor was Kristen Roach, my new friend and roommate when I was in Ethiopia in 2010. She was visiting her care point that she coordinates called Kebron. It is south of Addis, but she stopped at Kechene for us to pick up the art work that the children were working on for our art show in Aug.

The second visitor to Kechene just today was a woman who delivered a huge box of teaching supplies for us. Several teachers in our area like Penny Edwards and her colleagues as well as Beth Ingraham from Elroy, WI donated things that they thought the teachers would use and that were actually requested by those teachers. Thank you to Jenny Harris also for the extra colorful letters and other great supplies! I will post a picture as soon as I get one.

As I read in the email from Teresa, who delivered the box, I was instantly reminded of my heartache for the school and those kids. She wrote of her intense desire to help as her eyes were opened. It really does open your eyes when you visit and I needed to hear that from Teresa for new energy for this care point. Thank you Teresa for your visit, your inspiration, and your heart! Here is what she said after her visit today at Kechene...

Greta it was an amazing trip.  We just got back.  We plan to come back to visit school.  Please let me know how we can get their uniforms and shoes asap to them.  They really want them.  Also I am sending them crayons, makers and pencils in a few weeks thru a family.  My husband is gonna come back will plan with Juree and spend a week with some men from church....will also bring new basketball goals then.  We loved the teachers.  Want to send them some money at Christmas and gifts if possible when you come.

Thanks for your hard work!!  Our eyes are opened we will help more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much love to you,
Teresa Toney


Just a side note, the uniforms/shoes have been ordered, we are just waiting for the order to be filled. This is one of those cultural differences that is very difficult for Americans to get used to with instant gratification. We get upset when things are late to come after we have ordered it. In Ethiopia, this is the norm. I will send pictures as soon as they get their uniforms and shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment