Saturday, November 20, 2010

The End Is Near...Time for a New Beginning

I was so fortunate to be able to receive emails from Greta and...we were able to chat for a while on facebook. And a skype date tonight. Thank you, Lord. Talking with her is so uplifting. And I'm going to brag on my wife here, but that's just the way she is. She has that gift of being pure in heart, genuinely concerned about others, and making you feel better about yourself after having been around her. What a special, special gift she is!

Here's one of the tones I've been picking up from her (and others on the team by reading their facebook postings) the last few days - how so very grateful these POOR people are for the smallest of gifts. And the gifts they like the best, not that they don't genuinely love receiving food, clothing, and supplies, are the gift of people who show them God's love for them. How very humbling. To be thankful to God for every gift, large and small, we receive from Him. We all need to learn from those precious kids and people in Ethiopia and then spread that love of God and one another to people who don't know Him, to those who do but are suffering all around the world, and to each other each and every day.

From talking to friends and family this past week, I have been sensing that God is on the move and moving hearts. When I told Greta this in an email, she wrote back and said she cried when she read those words. Because she said there is so much to do when she gets back. Although this trip is coming to an end, the work is not over, it's just beginning.

The Kechene orphanage we'll be working to find sponsors (people to provide $34 per month to provide basic needs and to provide love and prayer and a relationship for an orphaned child) for is in such a terrible state. Greta's heart is broken for them.

There's so much they need and we (meaning the U.S. culture/society in general) have so much. They have the love of God and love for their fellow humans but no resources. We have many resources, yet we lack the love we need to give to the "least of these" and to each other. Please don't be offended and think I'm speaking piously or about any specific people, as I am guilty of falling short of God's desire for us loving people as well. But I want to get as close as humanly possible for God's plan/way for us as I can. And I know there are so many of you reading these words that do as well. (Note: If anything in here is wrong or offends someone, know that that is not my intent, nor should Greta be held responsible for my lacking in this area. She would be so much better than me at saying what needs to be said, but you're stuck with me until she's back.)

That's the exciting part...with so many of you being moved by the kids in Kechene, Greta and I are so excited to see what can be done for them. Your donations have covered their food and caretakers for 2-3 months. With all of your help spreading the word about their incredible needs, We'll be able to get them all sponsored quickly and start addressing their dire needs in the orphanage. That is so exciting and inspiring!

Greta is so excited about getting back and sharing with all of you the stories and pictures from this week. And she's so excited about getting to work on the Kechene sponsorships. She said there's so much we can and have to do once she's back.

When she's back. Those words are priceless to me. It's now less than 48 hrs until we pick her up at the airport. I have missed her so much this week. And selfishly, I really didn't want to let her leave us for this time, but I'm glad I did because it meant so much to her and it has shown me that I can love, respect, admire, serve, appreciate, and honor my wife so much better than I was or thought could be done. It's funny how God's plans are always so much better than ours.

Well, that's most likely all you'll have to read from the lovesick husband. Please visit this blog often in the future when Greta is back at the helm.

3 comments:

  1. You are doing such a great job of keeping us updated Matt. Thanks not only to Greta and her team....but to the husbands and families like yours that are sacrificing so much as well.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing all the profiles and meeting these kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read and reread your blog. Thanks Matt for taking the time to write with such detail and move all of the readers. I can't wait to hear all about Greta's experience....it won't be long now!

    ReplyDelete