Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The faces of hope



I just have to share some of the faces at Kechene Orphanage. This is the orphanage/school that has been waiting for 2 long years for sponsorship. As we came up the drive of the orphanage, it occurred to me that they are here in the city, yet so a part from any assistance. The environment in which they are located is more at risk and needy than the actual orphanage.

Just outside the gates of the school, we spotted a older woman weaving a basket made of straw. The stench was horrific. As I looked closer, I realized she was patting manure of some kind to make the straw stick to the next straw. It was such an image to have that really gives this area the background for what kind of situation these kids are in. When we left the orphanage, children of the neighborhood tried to just get a piece of what we might have; candy, a granola bar, water, anything. Someone had some food and divvied it up for the 3-4 children at the window.

The children at the orphanage were not like the beggers outside. They were considerate, kind, and patient. They were genuinely happy and just a sense of joy. When watching the teacher interact with the kids, I was totally impressed by his love for the kids and the passion he had for them! He was "on fire" for them and loved his job!

Right now, there is no sponsorship. The school has been getting some projects from a donation here and there, but the money for food is running out. I had the amazing and humbling task of telling them we were there to help and we would be getting sponsorship for those kids. It will pay for food, the teacher's salaries, and the spiritual guidance they need. The teacher took my hand and with tear filled eyes looked at me and said, "We have been praying for this!" The cook, and director's wife, gave me the biggest hug and said thank you as well. What an amazing group of people!

I am so looking forward to working with this group and getting you all familiar with the school and children! Here are some of their faces.







Here is what we did together before taking pictures of them. I first taught them what my words meant and what the sign language was for "Jesus Loves Me." Then, the children sang with me. Half way through, they all laughed because they all knew it from their teacher! What an experience it was to sing with them what I wanted to tell them first hand!

3 comments:

  1. Loved watching you sign this song. Thanks for the updates. Praying they will all get sponsored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greta,
    I'm glad to see you getting things posted on here! I'm so excited to see the amazing things that God will do through you for this amazing group of kids!
    many hugs,
    apryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure enjoyed this...a moment you will never forget.

    ReplyDelete