Friday, November 26, 2010

Subtle reminders


As I comfortably sip my coffee this morning in my warm kitchen with family still asleep in their warm, comfortable beds, I pick up the laundry and notice a gum wrapper fall out of the dryer. Immediately, my memories are triggered to Sunday at the market place. While doing our shopping, the street boys were selling gum for 10 burr (that's about 50 cents) so they can gather enough money for something to eat that day. I bought a pack of gum from Ababbu, a street kid Karen had recognized from last year. He was in the same place, doing the same thing. He had a huge smile on his face as Karen called his name and recognized him from their last visit a year ago. Hugs were exchanged and smiles on more street kids were seen! How amazing to see the joy on these kids even when dealing to just survive.



This is one of the street boys who came over to us for hugs and a chance to sell his gum to us. My tears are held back for now, but it's these little reminders that I want to remember and keep fresh in my heart for a long time.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder, Greta. I NEED constant small reminders like this to prevent myself from getting wrapped up in my cushy little existence. Can't wait to hear more about your experiences in Ethiopia. Don't stop being YOU :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a package of grape gum in my suitcase, a 'gift' for my kids and had to share the story that went along with that gum. Little reminders all over the place...
    apryl

    ReplyDelete