Friday, November 19, 2010

Great News!

Greta informed us today of the use of the money she received from so many of you for the kids on this trip. The Kechene orphanage with 55 kids and some caretakers is at their wit's end because they have no funding. Even though the kids are dirty and their clothes are tattered and food is inconsistent, she commented how happy they were to see them and loved they are by the caretakers. She said their love for God was radiant. How humbling it must've been to see those with so little so in love with God. Then there's us here in the U.S. with so much yet so...

She said they told her God gives them such strength and people like the team. She was so touched. So here it is again, we, with all the gifts we have been given, are God's plan A for helping these people and kids out of their devastation. Greta is so moved by all of your generosity.

The teachers/caretakers, if they want any compensation, have to raid the meager food fund for the kids. They have been praying for a miracle...and all of you are it! With the money you sent with Greta, Kechene will be able to be funded for 2-3 months! Food, basic medical care, and some pay for the caretakers there so they aren't forced to leave. The people and kids there are overwhelmed by all of your love and generosity.

Greta also informed the director that we will be coordinating the lining up of sponsorships when she gets back. She told him this and gave him a Bible and he teared up with emotion. She got to meet all of the kids and take their pictures and gather information on them and the needs of the orphanage. She said they all referred to her as "Miss Greta." My heart melted at the vision in my mind of her walking around there, being your eyes, hands, feet, and hearts distributing the love of Christ to "the least of these." She commented that it was humbling to share your generosity in this capacity. Way to go!

She also shared about the devastation she saw at another orphanage located many miles from Addis. The kids' stomachs were swollen from malnutrition and worms, they had wounds and sores. Fortunately, they have recently started to get some sponsorships and things will improve for them in the future. Tomorrow the team will visit there again and prepare a meal for all of them and purchase some food and more medical supplies for them. Keep these kids in your prayers.

So much more has been going on as well. I just can't remember all she tells me and she says there's so much more to tell about. Communication has been difficult with the power outages and their schedules and the fact that my only real connection has been email. She'll have stories and pictures when she gets back for all of you.

Well, that's about it for now.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE step up your praying for Greta's (and all of their) safety, health, and safe return. I cannot tell you how much it means to me to know of all of the people that are praying for her. She means the world to me and I want so much to have her back in my arms. When I get to feeling lost and so sad and tear up the MANY times I do each day because she is not here by my side - I actually have a towel on the seat in my truck that has been used all week to wipe the tears off my cheeks and to dry my eyes before I have to get out at a farm - I think of this: Being in the airport on Monday and seeing her come into view. If you are at the airport on Monday and see a large man sprinting down the hall, get out of the way because it'll be me having just spotted Greta and I will blast over/through you if you're in my way of getting to her. I picture hugging and holding her. There will be tears then, too, but they'll be tears of joy, love, and the completion of me because I have my wife, the love of my life, back in my arms.

God's blessings to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment